Monday, October 18, 2010

Joan Spears

By Joan Spears
Having my hands in clay for 35 years has not diminished the pleasure of seeing new forms emerge from that lump. I prefer making work that my customers will use on a daily basis although I am still drawn to Raku production and lately to small scale saggar-fired work. I am particularly excited by investigating ways to alter my work by texturing, stamping or carving. And making my glaze combinations flow and run so that the action of the kiln plays an important role has also been fun.


And now, as I teach six days a week, I have the opportunity to pass on my excitement and joy to a large group of students. At my store/studio, Pleasant Pottery, I also have been able to encourage my more experienced potters by offering them the opportunity to sell their work twice a year. We will be having a group show the first weekend of December, Dec. 3-5. 
Of course, I always enjoy participating in the Toronto Potters show coming soon.




1 comment:

  1. Hello Joan,

    Your work is beautiful. I heard you might to pay for fire. If so how is priced.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete